Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Álvaro Ricardez


Hi !

My name is Álvaro, and I'm a 59 years old Mexican TEFL teacher. I teach in a private high school in the city of Oaxaca, in southern Mexico. I've been teaching there for 6 years. I have a bachelor degree in Civil Engineering and I worked formerly as a free-lance engineer in the Sierra Sur mountains of Mexico, where I had a small farm. Having no school there, my wife and I educated our children ourselves. When young I did some work in an Israeli kibbutz and there I learned to love nature, planting and the great outdoors. Having left the farm and my beloved mountains, I'm back at the city mainly to get higher education for my children. I learned English at the University of Kentucky, and now I am teaching languages to young people. It is now one of my passions. I think that in order to feel that our planet is ours, we must speak at least three languages. This way we can reach out of our little corners and get involved with the pressing issues of our world. This is an urgent task for our young people and this is a work that I love to do and which I'd like to do better.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Álvaro,
    It was nice reading your post. It seems to me that you are a peaceful teacher loving nature and protecting it. I am sure your experience will help you in the preparation proces of your story . Have you started collecting materials for the story yet?
    Looking forward to learn more about you and your story.
    See you in the WIZIQ session tomorrow.
    Best wishes.
    Beyza

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beyza. I'm just trying to learn. I have some problems downloading the videos that we must watch this week, but I will go on trying, don't worry. I'm also at work looking for material for the story and most important, thinking about the subject! Hard work indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the most important thing dear Alvaro. You are seeking opportunuties to learn and going through a process. Choosing a subject is a difficult task you are right. However, I am sure that you will come up with a great one. Please do not hesitate to email me or Sedat if you have any problems or questions.
    Best

    ReplyDelete